Phone:  320-762-2868
Fax:      320-762-2944
Hotline:320-762-3010

HomeAbout UsFacilitiesFitnessRegister 

Lakes Area Recreation
720 Fillmore Street
Suite B020
Alexandria MN 56308

Lakes Area Gymnastics
1910 Aga Drive
Alexandria MN 56308
320-219-9724

About Lakes Area Recreation
(Lakes Area Recreation was formed in 1989 as a non-profit joint powers organization comprised of four entities, School District #206, City of Alexandria, Alexandria Township and the LaGrand Township. The board that oversees the Lakes Area Recreation is made up of two representatives from each of the four entities. Another sixteen surrounding cities and townships voluntarily contribute to Lakes Area Recreation. Approximately 30% of the budget is received from public funding and the other 70% of the budget is received through user fees and grants.

Located in the Douglas County Services Center at 720 Fillmore Street in Alexandria, Lakes Area Recreation provides opportunities for activities such as swimming, weightlifting, cardiovascular fitness, aerobics, gymnastics, youth camps and a wide variety of sports for youth and adults. Facilities at Lakes Area Recreation include a cardio room, weight room, gymnasium, gymnastics center, locker rooms and a multipurpose room.

The continued success of Lakes Area Recreation is due to the increase in enrollment in its programs, as well as the shared commitment from the City of Alexandria, School District 206, LaGrand Township and Alexandria Township. Youth programs continue to grow, with more than 9,600 registrations for 27 different programs, which include baseball, basketball, soccer, volleyball, gymnastics, dance, tennis, swimming and other sports.


City and Township Contributions

​Great appreciation goes out to the following cities and townships for their continued support of Lakes Area Recreation:
                                                                                                                
Alexandria City                                                  Ida Township               
Alexandria Public Schools                                   LaGrand Township
Alexandria Township                                          Lake Mary Township
Belle River Township                                          Miltona Township 
Carlos City                                                         Moe Township 
Carlos Township                                                 Osakis Township 
Forada City                                                        Spruce Hill Township 
Hudson Township
                                               
                                                                         
Douglas County is also a partner by providing reduced rent for the Lakes Area Recreation Center located in the Douglas County Services Center.


LAR Board Members

Great appreciation goes out to the following people for their continued support of 
Lakes Area Recreation:



Jeff Oberg                                                                  Alexandria Township

Patrick Running                                                         Alexandria Township

Dave Anderson                                                          Alexandria Public Schools

Angie Krebs                                                               Alexandria Public Schools 

Alan Zeithamer                                                           Alexandria Public Schools

Jodi Gray                                                                    City of Alexandira 

Robert Kuhlman                                                          City of Alexandria

Richard Bromley                                                          La Grand Township 

Vern Lorsung                                                               La Grand Township

Jerry Rapp                                                                   Douglas County Representative
Contact Us
The mission statement of Lakes Area Recreation is to provide recreation and leisure time activities in the broadest sense to all residents of School District #206, using school district, city, and township facilities and funding, along with private resources when available.​

Welcome to
Lakes Area Recreation!
Mission Statement